The JGI Annual User Meeting will be preceded by a series of workshops and the “NeLLi 2019 Symposium: From New Lineages of Life to New Functions.” NeLLi 2019 will focus on experimental innovations, computational advances, and other technological developments that will enable researchers to move from identification of microbial novelty to assigning metabolic and functional capabilities.
Overview of Symposium Goals
Metagenomic and single-cell sequence data have provided a means to access “microbial dark matter” (MDM), leading to a new appreciation for the extent of diversity. A bonanza of novel microbial lineages have been identified in recent years and we are currently challenged with how to phylogenetically and functionally characterize this novel diversity.
This symposium will provide an overview of the bacterial, archaeal and microeukaryote diversity catalogued and taxonomically classified to date. Under the “sequence to function’ umbrella, this symposium will further focus on computational approaches to characterize MDM and sequence novelty and experimental approaches to assign functional “read out” to sequence data. Moving from cataloguing microbial diversity to experimental characterization and validation of the functional potential of these new lineages will provide new cornerstones for research in the areas of bioenergy and biomedicine, as well as biotechnology.
Confirmed NeLLi 2019 Keynote Speakers:
- Thijs Ettema, Uppsala University
- Christa Schleper, University of Vienna
- John McCutcheon, University of Montana
- Regular Attendee – $300
- Student / Post Doc – $100
Conference Hotel Accommodations
Hilton Union Square San Francisco, CA
333 O’Farrell Street
San Francisco, CA 94102, USA
Phone: (415) 771-1400
Fax: (415) 202-7798
To confirm a sleeping room within the conference Room Block, a valid credit card is required during the online reservation process, with a first night’s deposit, refundable up to 72 hours in advance of the reservation date. Checks and major credit cards are acceptable to establish prepayment. All credit cards used to prepay the room deposit will be charged immediately.
Additional Travel and Logistics information can be found HERE.
- Tuesday, April 2nd: AM Refreshments, Lunch, and PM Refreshments
- Light Appetizers will be served during the Poster Session held the evening of Tuesday, April 2nd from 6:00PM – 9:00PM.
- Wednesday, April 3rd: AM Refreshments will be provided.
Posters and Abstract Submission
Abstract submissions will be facilitated by an online abstract submission tool. Once you have registered for the symposium, you will receive a confirmation email with submission information and guidance. The abstract submission deadline will be March 8, 2019 @ 11:59PM or when we reach the maximum capacity of 30 abstract submissions.
- Maximum printed size allowed for each poster presentation will be 4 ft x 4 ft.
- The Poster Sessions will be held on Tuesday, April 2nd from 6:00PM – 9:00PM
New Lineage Sponsor: $5,000 (2 available)
The JGI Annual Meeting will be preceded by “NeLLi 2019 Symposium: From New Lineages of Life to New Functions.” NeLLi 2019 will focus on experimental innovations, computational advances, and other technological developments that will enable researchers to move from identifying microbial novelty to assigning metabolic and functional capabilities.
- Your company will receive a Meeting Chair introduction.
- Your logo/company identity will be featured on the rotating slideshow between plenary sessions.
- Your company marketing materials will be displayed prominently adjacent to the registration desk.
- One NeLLi 2019 registration ($300 value).
Joint Genome Institute Organizers: